baby

I bought my almost 2 year old son a baby doll. His fascination started with a Christmas Card I got from my cousin who is expecting, and as I showed it to Caleb, with excitement, my son was in desperate need to see it also. On the card, was a picture of a pregnant gal who is kissing her hubby. Cole wanted to know where the baby was, so I pointed to her belly. Cole then, of course, pointed to my belly, and asked if there was a baby in my belly, then to his own. No, I told him, there wasn't. From then on through the rest of the Christmas season, as he went about his business, he would sometimes stop, pause, point at the card, and say "baby". To top it off, a friend had a real baby, and we've gone to see him a few times, only making it seem more interesting!

Cole loves to go to the gym with me, it's his time to play with other toys, kids, and watch his favorite, "Nemo". There are also babies at the gym. Real ones, and play ones. Last week, I walked in and my son was bundling up a baby doll and rocking it. He was really into it. I didn't say anything to Caleb cause it wasn't a big deal.

This week, we were all 3 in Walmart, and as we were leaving, we perused through the toy isles, thinking of all our favorites and telling Cole which ones he will love someday. As we pass the fish, and turn to leave, we walk down an isle with lots of pink. It's the doll isle. No biggie, he's a boy. Ha. He starts to reach out for one. So, luckily, I find one that is small, and dressed in brown with a puppy on "his" shirt. Cole grabs him from me and quickly, pushes my hand away, saying "No". As if I was going to steal his precious child from him.

So, we bought the baby.

At dinner, it became problematic, because he really wanted the baby to eat, and seeing as the baby isn't real, that created some very dramatic crying.

Today, the baby was snuggled, cuddled, thrown into the crib (that's the only way Cole can get the baby into his bed, and naturally, the child must sleep), and taken everywhere with us.
Here's to the making of a very macho (he had swords, and fights with his daddy everyday), male chef (yes, he got a kitchen for Christmas) who will be a fabulous father.

Oh, and Caleb thinks it's great that Cole is so into being a daddy. It's a great compliment to both Caleb and myself, cause he wants to share his love with someone else!

Comments

Popular Posts