How rich I am

Today is special for me. It is my birthday. I know everyone gets one each year and to each person, those birthdays are special. I hope I am able to make other people feel special on their birthdays the way I have been hugely blessed today on my birthday.

I was feeling bummed out that for the second year in a row my husband is gone over my birthday. It just feels like insult to injury when we have to do another special day without him. He's already missed so much this year-- our anniversary, the end of summer, the kid's first day of school-- and all the little things, like 3 lost teeth, a burst ear drum, camping trip in McCall, bbqs, ever growing children. In all, he will miss a lot more-- many growth spurts, lots of sick-children-sleepless-nights, the last years of toddlerhood, 2 Thanksgivings, Christmas, New Years, season changes... Well, you get the idea. A lot of things happens when you're gone from your house for 11ish months out of 24. Today was something I was dreading. I'm usually stoked about my birthday. I love to celebrate, but there's just something sad to me about celebrating when my partner isn't there.

My village rallied.

First thing this morning, my daughter got up to find me and in her sleepy, messy hair, pj voice said, 'happy birthday, momma.' My son made me coffee and gave me not only his hand made gift, but $2 in quarters, and 2 pieces of gum. He also wrapped gifts from Caleb and had them all ready for me when I went into the kitchen. My mom made today so extraordinarily special. I don't even know how to say thank you. Caleb sent me gifts that spanned the whole day and ended with a dozen long stem red roses. My girlfriends shared a much needed girls night out full of popcorn, laughter, almazing food, drinks, and cheesecake. I got notes and gifts from the heart.

I am going to bed alone again, but my heart is so full. I feel so cared for and loved. I am so thankful for the people in my life.

When I was a child, making friends was so difficult for me. Mom and I prayed that God would bring friends into my life. I know He is still answering that prayer, as the relationship I have are so life giving. I may live in a small green house, drive older cars, and live on a budget, but I am truly rich.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Meggie, No one can take Calebs place while he's away BUT you feel & see you are NOT alone & Loved by so many! What a special lady/wife/mom/daughter/sister & friend you are. <3 xoxoxox Blessings and many xoxoxoxoxoxo to keep ya going!
Love ya Ann : )

Popular Posts